Thursday, February 24, 2005


At the request of my mom, I have posted pictures of my apartment. I'd like to show you the drawing room, but unfortunately, I have none. Instead, I will show you the four walls of my one big room and the entranceway. Here is the east wall. These sliding doors lead to a small enclosed patio. They bring in a lot of light, which is wonderful. I have a few plants... and the chinese characters on the wall are (in descending order) winter, spring, summer, and fall.  Posted by Hello

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you put them in the order 춘 하 추 동?

Ben Norris said...

Mainly because of my own beliefs of when the year begins and ends. :-) I am aware of the Korean system of seasons in which spring comes last, but chose to follow a more anglo-saxon system, using winter as the first marker of the year because I see the stillness, sleep, and death of winter as the first (and not the last) stage of life. Also, to me it seems fitting that fall (the time of decline) corresponds to the final stage of a human's life more accurately than death - what we think of as death is the lead-up to the new beginning. Hence, fall is the lead-up to winter.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Is that your calligraphy? I've started a Chinese calligraphy class in Seoul on the weekends, but my writing doesn't turn out that nice looking...yet, anyway. ^^