Friday, December 03, 2004

Another week, another Friday! Yay! I live for "the Friday".

Things are going well at school. I think my game plan recently for teaching the students has been to keep my energy levels up so that I can act like a goof and have more fun with the kids. They seem to enjoy that. The other day, I just sat down with some of my older students and chatted about what they were interested in. I asked about a famous horror story in Korea called Red Mask. Apparently, there is a series of books that came out in Japan and then were released into Korea as comics that tell about various different mask-like characters. One of them is called RED MASK (bah bah bah bummmmmmmm). She is disfigured by scars that lead from the corners of her mouth to her ears - I think the North American equivalent would be Bloody Mary. I think she comes when you look in a mirror. Anyway, she asks you "the" question: Am I beautiful? If you answer yes, she turns you into a replica of her - by slicing your cheeks to your ears. Ewwwwwww. If you say "no, you're not beautiful", she flies into a rage and gores you to death. Ahhh Catch 22! Anyway, the point of the story is that I seem to be getting on some of my kids' good sides, which is a breath of fresh air, believe me. In this one class, the sole girl in the class acts as if I murdered her whole family. She sneers and what not. The other day, after that class, the Korean cooperating teacher told me that the students said I was a super cool teacher. Yay! Maybe they'll listen more to the lessons from now on and answer some questions! :-) More good news as well: Although Tae Hoon is back, I am slowly learning to deal with him in a much more constructive way than yelling and screaming at him (believe me, I tried to be patient before, but obviously I was doing SOMETHING wrong because I couldn't get him to stop screaming at the top of his lungs and trying to KILL the other students). We're buddies now.

The past few weeks have been rather busy with lots of reports and evaluations due. As well, we came in last Saturday and will be coming in again this Saturday for a "New Parent Orientation Day". We dress up, look like good trophies, nod our heads and then go home. :-) I also plan on going to meet Louise later on Saturday. She is coming in from Gunsan to see a temple in Seoul.

I'll be putting some more photos up on my blog soon enough. Perhaps later tonight - I might be heading out later tonight though to a new club in Gangnam - one of the teachers at our school (Brian), has a buddy who is opening the place. We all get in and drink for 10,000 won all night. Sounds good! Anyway, if I decide to geek-out and spend the time in Bundang instead, you'll see pictures really soon. I probably should stay home tonight - I need to go get groceries and what not. Did you know that something like 70% of North Americans are chronically dehydrated? I was really good about drinking tons of water when I first got here. Now, I haven't bought bottled water in like 2 months...

Well, class is starting real soon, so I need to post this and get my butt in gear. Here's hoping all of your weekends are great!

No comments: