Tuesday, August 31, 2004

The weekend

Well, I had a really great time this weekend. On Friday night, I went to Hongdae and had fun dancing up a storm. Hongdae is the place to go to dance, as there are tons of dance clubs. Then, my friend Jay came into Seoul from Kwang-ju (a city about 4 hours south of Seoul). We went to a hash, which is a strange hybrid of a scavenger hunt, a drinking game, a pep rally, and a marathon. It's really fun. The basic idea is follow a trail of "hashes" on the ground - small chalk arrows, pitstops, checkpoints, and what not. One person (the "rabbit") lays a trail and tries to make you run through all of Seoul while trying to get you lost by laying down false trails and what not. To make it even more fun, everyone starts with a few drinks (ok, ok, many drinks)... and they end up finishing with a few more (ok, ok, many more) drinks. It is a complete and utter blast. When I get back to Saskatoon, I want to try to get a hash or two started. If you're in Saskatoon, look it up on the internet - maybe there's already a group somewhere around there.

After the hash on Saturday, we went to the fish market. There's a really cool restaurant there that will cook up whatever you buy right there at the market. The seafood market is about the size of a football field filled with aquariums and lots of ice. You can buy any one of a number of seafood delicacies there. We bought two Huge crabs and a bunch of king prawns which turned out to be the best shrimp I've eaten in my entire life. (And I don't really like shrimp all that much).

On Sunday, Jay and I hung out in Itaewon and Dongdaemun - both great places for shopping. Ahem... to go on again about delicious food - there is a super mexican food shop in Itaewon off the beaten trail where I had the best burrito I've eaten in my life (yes, this was the weekend of bests) and it only cost me 4,000 won (about 4 bucks)! It was great. While in Dongdaemun, I also tried a breaded hotdog on a stick - deep fried with french fries embedded in the batter covering the hotdog. It was a full unhealthy meal wrapped into one convenient snack....... *On a steeeeck, man!*

Last night (Monday that is), I joined a gym near the school. I hope to head there on a regular basis (I say this despite the fact that I've been sitting here all night trying to get all my new posts up online)... after that, I suppose I'll go...

Finally, today we went to the COEX Aquarium in Seoul with the kids as a fieldtrip. It was a lot of fun and I think the kids really enjoyed themselves. Well, I know *I* did... What follows are a bunch of the photos from the past week or so. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great blog! I also have a site about station water ski
. You can check it out at station water ski
.

Also, as a special bonus, I want to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam. Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to qualify.

FREE Sony DVD Handycam