Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Long time

Hiya everyone. Sorry that it has taken me a while to update my blog. It's been a rather boring few weeks - nothing hugely exciting happening.

Sad news - Christina left Korea to head back to Canada's own Cape Breton. I wish her all the best in completing her university and getting her Master's degree. I will miss her!

On a happier note, I got my first experience of a Jinja-bang (spelling is probably wrong). It's a type of 24-hour Korean bath house where they have many differently heated hottubs and pools and stuff. The one we went to had an exercise room with treadmills, bikes, and even those vibrating strap machine thingies that shakes the fat off your body (circa 1960's). Basically, you go into separate rooms - one for males, one for females. You strip nude and hang out in the hottubs for a while then are given a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. You head into the common area where you meet with your friends of the opposite sex and then you bake yourselves in dry saunas that are hot enough to boil water (Literally, some of the posted temperatures were 104.5 degrees celcius). It's FAAAAB-ulous. They have massage chairs, big screen TV's, a refreshment bar, TONS of free towels and free lockers, and if you want, you can pay an extra 30,000 won for a massage. It's so cool. Apparently, if you DO go to one, there are social norms: ALWAYS shower before going in the hot pools, and NEVER put your head under water... (apparently). Rich (The guy I went with) dunked anyway...

In other news, I was recently filmed to be in a promotional video for a new English teaching technique for some company. I travelled to Yangjae station, where I did an hour of filming for 100,000 won. It was cool. The girl I was filmed with (a result of the English teaching technique) was AMAZINGLY fluent and confident, and she was only like 10 years old. I was very impressed. On the down side, I left my super-cool Oakleys (er...Fauxkleys) at the studio. I'll pick them up some time...

New CD's:
Michael Jackson's "Number Ones" - Faaabulous.
Black Eyed Peas "Elephunk". Kudos to Tree-bor for getting me hooked.
Josh Grobin. A gift from Christina. Thank you!

Oh yeah, I am more than pleased to know that the friends I have made here are ALSO into MST3K (that's Mystery Science Theatre 3000 for the uninitiated), and we watched "The Mole People", "A Date with your Family", "The Night of the Dead" (or something like that), and "Aquatic *something or another*", a film about waterskiers the other night. "The Mole People" was one of the best ones I've seen. Go check it out... or ask Trevor Olson where you can find them.

Ok, hopefully my next post won't be in 2 months time. I'll try to keep more on top of things... I promise... *gulp*... oh yeah... check out the pictures below. Like I said... nothing much is new, so the pictures are kinda ordinary... oh well...

No comments: